A trip to the spa is great. A trip to the doctor’s isn’t. We all dread the long drive all the way to the doctor’s office even if it’s just a monthly check up. Why? Because you know you skip a couple of doses of your heart medication every now and then. Or you might have completely forgotten your cholesterol pills. And I don’t blame you.
We lead busy lives. We’d forget to breathe if it weren’t an involuntary process. Well, what if taking your medications was as easy as breathing? Sounds too good to be true? Well, it is and it’s thanks to a little something called “aromatherapy”. It’s a simple method which involves, as the name suggests, the use of aromas for therapeutic purposes. By simply inhaling the right essential oils, you can relief countless symptoms, help improve chronic health conditions and even enhance your immunity and circulation. But aromatherapy is just the method of delivery. The magic really lies in the essential oils you’re inhaling.
Ancient Egyptians were the first to use essential oils, dating all the way back to 3500BC. By 377BC, word of the magical oils had spread to the Ancient Greek. In fact, even Hippocrates, the best physician of his time, used essential oils to treat his patients of numerous conditions. Next came the Romans, the Indians, the Chinese and the Persians. Everyone was learning about the wonders of essential oils. By the 1950s, they had become an absolute necessity in alternative medicine, massage therapies and holistic health treatments. Today, you can find essential oils almost anywhere and that’s the problem. You have so any options to choose from, you don’t know which ones to get. Well, you don’t need a doctor’s prescription. Here’s a list of the top 10 essential oils in the market, what they contain and how they work.
Radha Beauty Aromatherapy Top 8 Essential Oils 100% Pure & Therapeutic grade – Basic Sampler Gift Set & Kit
This might be the best product out there simply because of the huge variety of essential oils it contains. Rahda provides a set of 8 different essential oils which are:
- tea tree
Each comes in a separate bottle meaning you can enjoy the benefits of a single oil or combine them for a perfect aromatherapy session. Here’s what some of the most important oils can do:
Would you believe me if I told you that archeologists actually opened up King Tut’s tomb in 1923 and could detect a faint scent of lavender? That means it was still delectable almost 3000 years later! That’s just one of the reasons lavender is considered among the strongest essential oils in history. It was added during the mummification process not only for its strong scent but because Ancient Egyptians knew of its powerful antibacterial properties. They hadn’t discovered the steam distillation process yet, which is the most common method of essential oil extraction, so they improvised. They extracted the lavender essential oil be preparing decoctions. These decoctions proved useful in countless digestive and gastrointestinal problems by killing most of the bacteria that hide in our food and water.
Have you ever heard of antioxidants? Of course you have, they’re everywhere. Companies always market their supplements and products as “containing powerful antioxidants that improve your health”. Well, it’s true that they improve your health unimaginably, but also empty your pocket considerably. Why go for expensive antioxidant sources when you have lavender oil? It’s not only a source of antioxidants, it also increases your body’s own natural antioxidants such as glutathione, catalase and superoxide dismutase (SOD). These are in charge of eliminating free radicals in your body which can harm your cells and tissues, accelerate your aging process and cause various diseases including cancer.
In addition to all of this, Lavender oil can help in the treatment of diabetes, thanks to it natural hypoglycemic effect. Alzheimer patients or anyone who wants to boost their nervous system or brain functions can diffuse some lavender oil at home or apply it topically to their temples or neck. And let’s not forget lavender’s stress-relief and soothing properties.
You’ll probably find tea tree oil in most skincare products. This is an oil that works wonders when diffused and also when applied topically to your skin. For one, it gets rid of acne very effectively. In fact, studies have proven that is can be just as powerful against acne as benzoyl peroxide, but without all the side effects that come with synthetic products. To use the tea tree oil for acne, you can add five drops of oil to two teaspoons of honey, leave them on your face for one minute and then wash them off.
Tea tree oil also works on other skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema thanks to its natural anti-inflammatory properties. It’s also great for your hair and scalp, being especially effective against flaking, dandruff and even lice. And of course, like most products that work on hair and skin, tea tree oil can also help your nails. It can kill parasites and fungal infections which means it’s perfect for toenail fungus, athlete’s foot and ringworm. Use a cotton pad to rub a few drops onto your affected area and watch it go away in no time.
Winter’s coming and eucalyptus essential oil will definitely be your best friend when it’s here. Have you ever seen someone with a cold put their face in front of a large bowl of water and cover their head with a towel? What they’re doing is a primitive method of aromatherapy. Whether they use a bowl or a modern-day diffuser, they won’t get rid of their cold unless they use the right essential oil such as eucalyptus. It may be the best oil there is when it comes to fighting congestion, cold sores, common cold, cough and pretty much any respiratory tract problems. It’s also another oil that can deeply nourish your hair, treat dry scalp, get rid of lice and even keep bugs away.
Don’t get the wrong idea. Lemon grass essential oil isn’t a bottle of lemonade. It’s completely different. The essential oil smells like lemons, but it is milder, sweeter and far less sour. So what can it do for you? Well let’s look at its properties:
- Analgesic: this makes it perfect for headaches, toothaches, muscle and joint pain and much more. Diffuse some at home next time you get a headache and watch it go away.
- Antidepressant: it boosts your mental strength, fights anxiety, uplifts your mood and even improves your confidence and self-esteem.
- Antipyretic and febrifuge: it works even against very high fevers.
- Antiseptic, antimicrobial, bactericidal and fungicidal: perfect for fighting infections in your stomach, colon, urinary system, wounds and respiratory tract.
- Deodorant: thanks to its antibacterial effect, it kills the bacteria responsible for causing bad odors.
- Diuretic: urination may not seem important but it actually is. For example, about 4% of urine is composed of fats, so it’s an effective way of getting rid of excessive fats in our body.
- Insecticidal: it not only kills insects, but also keeps them away. And the best thing is, it’s natural. No harmful chemicals or side effects.
Best Peppermint Oil (Large 4 Ounce) 100% Pure Peppermint Essential Oil (Mentha Piperita)
This product from Sun Essential Oils provides peppermint essential oil in a large 4 ounce (118ml) bottle. They’re proud to say that their product doesn’t have the “dry scent, lack of depth and alcohol or chemical smell” most oils in the market have. But here’s a question, why do you want peppermint oil in the first place? Here’s why:
- Pain Relief: it can reduce muscle and joint pain and even get rid of headaches.
- Sinuses: it can help decongest your nose and improve scratchy, sore throat.
- Reduce Hunger Cravings: Diffuse some peppermint oil after dinner to help fight those midnight cravings and give you a sense of satiety.
- Natural Energizer: it makes you feel motivated, improve your concentration and alertness and even keeps you focused throughout the day. This has proven helpful even for people with chronic fatigue syndrome and children with ADHD.
- Allergy Relief: Helps avoid allergy during pollen season and helps quell its symptoms thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Skincare: peppermint oil can do wonders for your skin including: treat acne, calm skin irritation, relieve sunburns and hydrate your skin.
- Anti-itch: another use for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Reduce fever
- Natural Bug Repellant
- Hair Growth
Onepure Aromatherapy Essential Oils Gift Set, 6 Bottles/ 10ml each, 100% Pure ( Lavender, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Sweet Orange, Peppermint)
Onepure offers a set of 6 different essential oils. We’ve already mentioned all these oils in the last few products and since they keep on showing up, it goes to show just how “essential” these essential oils are.
- Radha Beauty Lavender Essential Oil Therapeutic Grade 4 Oz
Another product by Rahda but this time, they included just the lavender oil and provided it in a huge 4oz bottle. Their lavender oil is extracted from sources in Bulgaria and directly bottled without adding any fillers, making it 100% pure. They also threw in a high quality dropper to it make it easier to handle the oil.
Spice Set of 6 Premium Grade Fragrance Oils – Cinnamon, Harvest Spice, Apple Cider, Coffee Cake, Gingerbread, Pumpkin Pie – 10ml
Just when you thought we’d mentioned all the good oils, P&J come along with another set of amazing essential oils. Their set of 6 contains premium, unconventional choices that have unique uses ranging from medicine all the way to bakery.
ArtNaturals Aromatherapy Top 8 Essential Oils, 100% Pure of The Highest Quality, Peppermint/Tea Tree/ Rosemary/ Orange/ Lemongrass/ Lavender/ Eucalyptus/ Frankincense, Therapeutic Grade
Now here’s a new oil we haven’t mentioned before: frankincense. It’s actually a good one that surprisingly, not many people know about. Here’s what it can do:
First of all, let’s start with the name, which actually comes from “franc encens” which means quality incense in old French. So why is it quality incense? Well, for starters, it’s great for mouth and teeth problems like tooth decay, bad breath, cavities and oral infections. It can even be added to baking soda to make your own homemade toothpaste. Moving on down past the mouth, we find the digestive system. Again, frankincense works wonders by getting rid of flatulence, constipation, gastrointestinal upset and stomachaches. It can even help relieve irritable bowel syndrome.
Frankincense is also great for cough and common cold. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help calm your airways, which is especially important for asthma patients and people with allergies. It also eliminates phlegm in the lungs. In addition to all that, it can boost your immunity, so it not only relieves symptoms of cold and flu, it also helps get rid of the causative agents. Skin benefits, pain and stress relief and balancing hormone levels are just a few other things frankincense can do.
Good Sleep Essential Oil – 100% Pure, Best Therapeutic Grade – 10ml – Includes Chamomile, Copaiba, Lavender, Sandalwood & More
Good Sleep offers more than 170 different essential oils. So why did they mention these ones specifically in their top product? Because of how superior they are to most other oils. We already know about lavender. As for the other three, here’s the gist of what they can do for you:
- Tames inflammation
- Relives pain: especially pain due to tight muscles, headache or migraine.
- Good for your liver
- Good for your brain
- Fights infections especially fungal.
- Skin care: copaiba oil can help treat acne, make your skin look younger, reduce wrinkles and even strengthen the skin to prevent lesions as the body ages.
- Oral health care
- Lowers blood pressure and improves your heart health which reduces your risk of heart diseases and heart attacks
- Elevates your mood, relieves depression and gets rid of anger.
- Improves your digestive system by promoting digestive juice secretion and facilitating the break down of food
- Has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that are ideal for treating headaches, migraines, rheumatism, arthritis, toothaches and even bone pain.
- Boosts the nervous system, calming a lot of nervous system disturbances such as spasms and convulsions.
- Great for your skin and can help with skin problems such as scars, marks, spots, cuts, wounds and bruises.
- Antiseptic that is safe to use internally and externally to fight bacteria, fungi and different microbial infections.
- Lowers bad cholesterol
- Helps in weight loss
- Boosts immunity
- Helps heal scars and spots
- Strengthens gums and muscles
- Helps with urinary tract infections
- Improves memory and cognition
Essential Oils Set 14 – 5 ml Pure Therapeutic Grade Includes Frankincense, Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary, Orange, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Clove, Spearmint, Lemongrass, Cinnamon
Plant Guru offers a huge set of 14 different essential oils! They’re all 100% pure with absolutely no synthetic additives, bases, carriers or any other ingredients. It includes most of the important essential oils we mentioned earlier in addition to a few new ones such as:
Like we all know, grapefruit is great for weight loss. It can boost your metabolism and reduce your appetite which helps with your midnight cravings and diet control. Other things you should know about grapefruit oil include:
- Natural antimicrobial that fights fungi and bacteria, especially food-borne bacteria such as E. Coli and salmonella.
- Uplifts, soothes, clarifies and gets rid of stress
- Effective cure for hangovers
- Boosts circulation
- Can act as an air freshener
- Improves digestion
- Great for skin problems especially acne
NOW Eucalyptus Essential Oil, 4-Ounce
Here’s another eucalyptus essential oil product that comes in a large 4oz bottle in case you can’t get enough of it.
Stress Relief Blend 100% Pure, Best Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil – 10ml – Bergamot, Patchouli, Blood Orange, Ylang Ylang, Grapefruit
Unlike all the previous products, this one by Stress Relief comes as a blend of 5 essential oils rather than five separate bottles. As the company name suggests, this blend is one of the best cures for stress on the market. The oils they chose are unique and 100% pure. All their manufacturing processes are regulated under strict quality control measures and are FDA registered. This oil is definitely a go-to on those rough stressed out workdays.
These were the top 10 essential oils you’ll find on the market. It may be hard to choose the right one but no matter which one you choose, you can never go wrong. There are over 250,000 different plant species but only 450 produce usable essential oils and manufacturers work very hard to extract them. It takes over 150 pounds of lavender flowers just to get a pound of precious lavender oil. That number almost doubles for peppermint oil. But manufacturers still go through all the trouble because essential oils are a fundamental part of our daily lives and have been so for millennia, ever since King Tut. So go out and get yourself a bottle, just don’t use it for mummification, like he did.