This article will discuss the benefits of lemon balm essential oil also commonly known as Melissa or sweet Balm from the plant Melissa oficinalis. This essential oil is very popular in the perfume industry and used widely not only because of its minty, grassy – lemon scent but because of its therapeutic uses. Pure therapeutic grade Lemon Balm oil or Melissa oil ranges in price from $150 to $225 for a 5 ml bottle because of the plant’s very low yield and expensive distillation costs. Then again, there are also readily made products available on the internet for as low as $12 in the same size! It is simply the best essential oil for personal use. In fact, I have personally used the oil and gathered enough reviews for this essential oil so that you may evaluate whether it is worth your money if you decide to purchase it. With a gentle lemony aroma and other amazing properties, you should consider some benefits of this oil when used for emotional support, skin-related problems and viral attacks among others.
- Possesses anti-inflammatory properties- According to a study published in 2013 (Advances in Pharmacological Science), it was suggested that melissa oil can be taken internally or applied topically to reduce swelling and relieve pain due to its anti-inflammatory activity. This was investigated by inducing experimental hind-edema trauma to rats which is swelling caused by excess fluid that is trapped in the body’s tissues. And after orally administering the melissa oil, it showed a significant reduction and inhibition of edema. The oil effectively heals various diseases associated with inflammation. For this reason, it can be used internally or externally as directed to help reduce swelling and relieve severe pain.
- Has the ability to prevent and treat bacterial infections- It is common knowledge to all of us that the use of antimicrobial agents usually causes resistant bacterial strains. This is quite harmful in the sense that it will compromise the effectiveness of antibiotic treatment. Research suggests that the use of herbal medicines might be a precautionary measure to prevent the development of resistance to synthetic antibiotics that are associated with therapeutic failures. Thus, making Lemon essential oil more useful than ever – ensuring effective treatment of bacterial infections. Significant compounds with antimicrobial effects like compoundsitral, citronellal and trans-caryophyllen are only some of the many healthy defenses this essential oil provides. It even showed higher degrees of antimicrobial activity compared to other oils like lavender.
- It promotes skin health- With its antibacterial and antifungal properties, lemon balm essential oil helps in naturally treating various skin infections such as eczema and acne. The oil is gentle to the skin and effectively helps in clearing various bacterial and fungal skin infections. . Not only does it have a soothing effect, but it also cares for your skin in the process. The lemon essential oil can also be prepared as a restorative skin cream by combining a half-cup of shea butter and coconut oil with a teaspoon of pure honey, and heating until it is well combined. Once cool, stir in 20 drops of Melissa oil and 40 drops of peppermint oil.Another method for treating skin conditions on the other hand, is to use five drops per ounce of the carrier oil, or add five drops to a spray bottle with water or moisturizer, and put a little on your face or affected area. Make sure to apply the right combination of oils to avoid skin irritation, if those with sensitive skin are to use this balm.
- Effective in fighting herpes among other viruses due to its anti-viral properties- A study published in the journal Phytomedicine in 2008 found that high Melissa oil concentrations abolished herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2 completely in vitro by testing it on monkey kidney cells with plaque reduction assay. After days of observation, the assay showed results of positive improvement from the cells because of the oil. It was concluded that Melissa essential oil could treat herpes due to its antiviral effects and its ability to penetrate the skin with its lipophilic effects. In addition,cold sores are commonly treated using the sweet balm oil. This is because the oil is effective in fighting the viruses thus inhibiting their spread. It is quite effective even in cases where common anti-viral agents have failed. You can therefore fully rely on this oil in treating viruses in the herpes family. The suggested application in treating cold sores and herpes is by applying two to three diluted drops of melissa topically to the area of concern.
- Has anti-diabetic effects- Research results indicate that Melissa oil is a powerful anti-diabetic agent as it inhibits gluconeogenesis in the liver. With the intake of this oil, it also enhances uptake and metabolism of glucose. According to a six-week study published in the British Journal of Nutrition in 2010, Melissa oil reduced diabetes symptoms by significantly decreasing blood sugar levels, significantly increasing serum insulin levels, and improving glucose tolerance, when compared to the control group. This oil facilitates in balancing our sugar levels to avoid diabetes or hypoglycemia. To start, take a few drops internally to promote healthy glucose levels.
- Helps in boosting mood- In some cases, taking prescription drugs isn’t just working anymore im helping you get through emotional times. Good thing lemon balm essential oil is a perfect alternative because of its sedative, hypnotic and anti-depressant properties. It is known to ease feelings of hopelessness and sadness and lifts up the spirit, thus the screen name “elixir of life” or “nectar of life” back in the 15th century. Melissa as a sedative by easing up anxiety, nervousness, shock, and trauma cases. Its soothing property promotes a restful sleep. It brings relaxation to the mind, body, and soul while inviting in feelings of peace and contentment. Tonic is also one of the emotional benefits of this oil. Similar to the effects of tonic that contributes to the overall health of the body and boosts immunity for added strength, melissa oil can have the same effect when applied. The oil must be diffused or applied on the back of the neck, ears and wrists.
- Serves as an anti-tumor agent- from a vitro study; it was observed that Melissa essential oil resulted to reduced human cancer cells. The report suggests that lemon balm oil can thus be effectively used as an anti-tumor agent.In 2014, a study was published in Cancer Investigation that melisa oil is a potentia cancer treatment bcuase it significantly reduced a specific tumor that grows on the tissues of the brain.The activity of the oil was observed in reducing the tumors cell lines. It was concluded that both melissa oil and citral decreased the viability and induced apoptosis of tumor cells with their antioxidant effects, showcasing its potential as a natural cancer treatment.
- Helps in reduction of high blood pressure- this can be attributed to the hypotensive, ant arrhythmic, and neuroprotective and hepatoprotective properties of the oil. In case you are suffering from hypertension and high blood pressure, this should be your next try. Several animal tests was done to prove that the oil lowers blood pressure. One study indicated that it asissts in making the heart more healthy and stronger in the rats involved in the experiment. Also, it was associated with significant electrocardiogam alterations which is a test for the heart’s electrical activity. The tonic content of the oil also helps in protecting the heart. If you are hypertensive, ypu should probably start applying the oil at the back of your neck chest, or by taking two drops internally. In this way, you will be able to live a fuller and worry free life.
- Helps in reducing PMS and menstrual symptoms – In nursing and Midwifery Studies done in 2015, highschool students were tested on a placebo-controlled trial. This was to asess if whether the melissa essential oil relieves dysmenorrhea or PMS. The intervention group were given each day of their 3 consecutive menstrual cycles a 1200 mg capsule that contains the essential oil. Whi8le some of the girls were only given placebo tablets. The results showed that the intervention group displayed reduced PMS and dymenorrhea on their cycle. Therefore, strongly proving that lemon balm essential oil can significantly reduce PMS and menstrual symptoms that are undeniably a huge discomfort in women. So unless you are not into eating lots of sweets just to suppress your horrible mood on your red days, melissa essential oil is a reliable and trustworthy friend.
- Helps in reduction of triglyceride levels- the use of Melissa essential oil has show a significant inhibition in fatty acid and cholesterol synthesis. This therefore results to reduced triglyceride and total cholesterol levels. A study was done on rats in 2012, the test showed that ingesting melissa oil has beneficial effects. The results showed that the fatty build ups od the experimental group slowly reduced which indicated slower fatty acid synthesis. Another study, conducted in 2009, found that melissa oil contains phenolic alkaloids that are among the properties that can inhibit cholesterol synthesis and lead to lower total cholesterol levels, total lipid levels and reduced lipid peroxidation levels in liver tissue. This would be very handy dietary supplement to health conscious people and to those who are on a strict diet. With proper exercise, a balanced meal and the melisa oil in your pocket, you will have that summer body you’ve always wanted in no time!
- Improves symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease – based on numerous articles, this has been the most likely to be the most effective. A study was done in Newcastle General Hospital’s Institute for Aging and Health involving seventy-two patients with clinically significant agitation in the context of severe dementia. They were randomly assigned to the Melissa essential oil or placebo treatment group.Researchers found that 60 percent of the melissa oil group and 14 percent of the placebo-treated group experienced a 30 percent reduction of agitation scores. There was an overall improvement in agitation in 35 percent of patients receiving melissa oil and 11 percent in those treated with placebo, suggesting that quality of life was improved significantly with essential oil treatment. The effectiveness of this oil can help many patients with this deadly disease.
- Easy to use- This over the counter, all around therapeutic agent has countless benefits you would not want to miss. As mentioned before, there are many ways to which you can apply the balm or oil. Melissa essential oil blends well with lavender, geranium, chamomile, rose, ylang-ylang, basil, frankincense, and citrus oils. There are many ways to use Melissa essential oil, including diffusing at home or in the office, taken internally, or applied topically. People with sensitive skin must use carrier oil before using it on the skin. For internal use, start with one to two drops. Depending with the purpose you intend to use the oil for, the procedure for use is quite simple. For cases of dementia, you can directly inhale or diffuse the oil on a daily basis. In the case of skin conditions such as acne or cold sores, you can apply the oil directly to the affected area or by spraying after mixing it with some water. You may as well use it internally by taking a few drops as directed to promote healthy glucose levels in the case of high blood pressure. To fight depression, nervousness and dizziness, the oil is gently applied on the wrists, back of the neck and ears. There are no extra and high costs treatments and equipments to have the expert care you need. With these simple methods, you can live a healthier life.
- Lemon balm essential oil is an emmenagogue and for this reason should not be used during pregnancy. The toxicity of aromatic oils can lead to birth defects and complications that would risk the life of the fetus or even the mother.Ingestion or applying any chemical to the skin of the mother raises concerns for doctors and aromatherapists. We are all aware on how varying amounts of drugs, heavy metals and other substances can be detected on the fetal environment can travel across the placents, and oils like the balm are not an exception. Pregnant women are strictly prohibited in making contact to toxic materials.
- The Melissa oil has a burning effect when applied directly on a sensitive skin. Before use, you are asked to apply a test on a small spot to determine whether your skin reacts to the oil just to make sure that it can or cannot be used in a wide range. This however can be prevented by diluting it with carrier oil like coconut oil before applying it. Nevertheless, it is highly suggested that the consumer always consult a physician regarding the effects of the oil to not only people with sensitive skin but also those with compromised health eventhough the oil has been proven to cure various diseases. Do not take essential oils internally for an extended length of time without the care of an essential oil expert. If you suffer from a serious health condition, always seek advice from your primary care physician before adding any essential oils to your health care regimen.
- The oil is a little bit expensive but it is really worth every dime you spend. Given that the process of obtaining the essential oil from the plant is not easy and comes with high costs, the market proce of the puro product would definitely be just as pricey. But rest assured that your money will not go to waste once you get to experience the wonders of the the Lemon Essential Balm or Melissa Oil. Because it can also be diluted with many types of oils, the small amount that it has will certainly be enough to satisfy your needs. And as mentioned above, you’re money is worth more than what you have paid for. With all these benefits, lemon balm essential oil is simply priceless.
In summary, the positive reviews on lemon balm essential oil far outweigh the negatives. For this reason, this essential oil deserves a consideration if you intend to get amazing results in various cases discussed above. If you have the budget to invest in one small bottle, it is highly suggested that you purchase the pure and undiluted melissa oil to for you to pamper your health to the fullest! The convinience of this herbal medicine will make every dime worth spending. Otherwise, you can always buy the diluted ones on the internet or drugstores. If you are already a user or owner of the Melissa oil, do not hesistate to share experiences and opinions about the product. There can be more uses of this oil that many specialists have not and is yet to encounter. For those who still have more questions, there are multiple articles on the internet where you can get different feedback from consumers all over the world. Or better yet, ask an essential oil coach.