For over 5000 years essential oils have been used as natural medicines to improve the health of skin, hair and body. One such example is the bergamot oil. Gathering a variety of online and offline reviews, I hereby dedicate this review to anybody looking for an effective essential oil to enhance their lives. You may evaluate the benefits and shortcomings to determine if it is worth your money.
The oil was first sold in Bergamo, a city in Italy and this is where the name Bergamot originated from. The oil is still mainly produced in Italy. It is extracted from the bergamot plant which is a hybrid between a sour orange and lemon through cold compression of the peel of its fruits. This is actually the difference from other essential oils that are extracted through steam distillation. You can use it in black tea to realize the amazing health benefits it brings to the entire body.
- Antidepressant– if you are suffering from depression, thank God the answer is here, bergamot oil. This oil provides a natural remedy for depression and more importantly getting to the root cause of the problem. By creating a feeling of joy and freshness, you will be far gone from your depression with increased energy as a result of boosted blood circulation. Do not let the symptoms of depression such as fatigue, low sex drive, loss of appetite, disinterest on common activities and sad mood take control in your life; use this oil to stay free and happy.
To experience the stress reducing properties of the Bergamot essential oil, open the oils container and gently inhale. You can also soak a tissue with 2-3 drops of the oil and inhale it.
The oil can also be used in your massage oil to aid in the reduction of stress by facilitating a relaxing massage. bear in mind that it that using it on your skin makes it very sensitive to sun exposure so avoid using this when you expect to be out and about in the sun.
- Stimulation of Hormone Secretions- bergamot oil helps in stimulating secretion of digestive juices, bile and insulin that are vital in digestion thus enhancing absorption of nutrients into the body. The juices also help in lowering blood pressure by assimilating breakdown of sugars in the body. This is a great remedy to the mental and neurological conditions that may be affecting you. Using an oil diffuser or burner will get your hormone secretion active.
- Add about one or two drops of the bergamot essential oil to your diffuser. Diffuse in an enclosed space and proceed to Inhale the oil. This will help to create a soothing environment that will trigger the secretion of the hormones within your body.
- If you don’t have a diffuser, another option is to find a large bowl or plug one of your sinks and fill it with steaming hot water. Add about two or three drops of the oil to the container, place your head over it and inhale it. Cover your head with a towel to get the best results.
- Curing Infections- bergamot oil is an antiseptic that inhibits growth of fungi, virus and germs on your body. You simply need to apply the oil on the skin or hair to reduce the risk of infection. In curing intestinal and stomach infections, you have the option to prepare black tea and place a few drops in it then consume it. Enjoy the amazing fragrance of this oil to give you instant remedy to various complications.
- Simply rub two or three drops of the oil on the affected area of the skin.
- Rub the area gently for about 5 minutes.
- The Bergamot oil will penetrate the skin
- If your skin is sensitive to the oil this method will not work with you.
- Stress Relief– this oil is a super relaxant as it helps to reduce nervous tension and anxiety caused by stress. By stimulating hormones like dopamine and serotonin, you get a sedation feeling that relaxes your entire body. You can inhale the oil to get the effects. The smell itself will get you up and going.
- To create a relaxing bath experience , add 6-10 drops of the bergamot essential oil to your water filled bathtub and soak yourself in the solution . The oil will soak into your skin and you will also inhale the scent which will help to relieve stress and help to keep you calm.
- You can also enhance the scent of your body lotions by adding a few drops of bergamot oil to them. You can do this with the unscented vitamin E cream, this solution can be used as a massage oil.
- You can also create a mixture of bergamot and a few other essential oils, namely olive oil, and rose essential oil to create a balm. You can then apply this balm to your hands and lips to inhale and help yourself relax on a stressful day.
- Pain Relief- due to increased hormone secretion after using bergamot oil, you experience less sensitivity from the nerves that cause pain. You can therefore use this natural oil in reducing the symptoms of pain such as muscle aches, sprains and headaches. Painkillers from pharmaceutical outlets have a variety of side effects that you do not want to experience. This oil is natural and guarantees natural relief from pain and tension. Simply rub the oil on the affected area such as sore muscles and within minutes you will feel relaxed.
- Massage -You can dilute your essential oil and massage it into your skin. This will help to loosen the muscles and this helps to remedy any pain you are experiencing. You can carry out this massage yourself but a professional massage might be another option that can help you to get results.
- Hot bath– Take a hot bath with the Bergamot essential oils. Use a carrier oil and add an ounce of it to 5 drops of the oil so that the essential oil can be dissolved. Pour this into the bathtub and sit in the bath and relax. This will allow the oil to enter your bloodstream by way of going through your skin and it will work to soothe the muscles. The steam that rises from the hot water also works to loosen up the muscles and alleviate your pain.
- Helps in Digestion– besides stimulating production of digestive juices, the oil also helps in stimulating peristalsis and muscle contractions of the intestines. This makes digestion process easier and faster. Rub a few drops of bergamot oil on your stomach and the results will be evident
Add a little bit of warm water to two or three drops of the essential oil and Use the solution to rub it into the abdominal area. This will provide help with digestive issues including bloating.
- Deodorant– body odor is caused by specific germs growing on your body. This oil helps in preventing the growth of such germs. With a refreshing citrusy fragrance, you can comfortably us the oil as a natural deodorant to freshen your body and surrounding air.
Here is a do it yourself deodorant recipe using bergamot essential oil:combine about 20 drops of the essential oil to about 4 ounces of distilled water. Pour this mixture into a spray bottle and shake it in a gently and apply it to the area when needed.
If you want a formula that helps with absorbing wetness you can create a mixture of 10 drops of the essential oil in a mixture of 4 tablespoons of coconut oil. Store this in your Refrigerator and use when needed.
- Protection of Teeth Against Infections- cavity protection is essential and this oil is vital in fighting germs that cause cavities. You can therefore use the oil as a mouthwash to help in fighting germs in the mouth.
Put a few drops of the oil onto your palm. Proceed to dip your finger into the oil then gently rub your fingers against the tooth. You can also choose to use a cotton swab to apply the oil, instead of your fingers but that is all up to you. You can also mix a few drops of bergamot essential oil into a glass of water and rinse your mouth gently with it or you can simply add a few drops of the oil to your toothpaste.
The truth is that the benefits of this oil are many and have no end. More research is being done on this oil since it is indicated that the oil has some anti-cancer properties among many other benefits. Using this oil will by far help you to reclaim the health you want effectively and naturally.
Additional uses of Bergamot
- Bergamot has an aromatic fragrance infused with fruity flavours and a light spicy scent. This amazing aroma is why bergamot is often the oil of choice as an ingredient in many perfumes and has been for decades.
- Bergamot not only smells good it also has a fruity taste that makes it an ingredient in food items. Bergamot is one of the primary ingredients in the well known Earl Grey and Lady Grey teas, and is also used in desserts and other beverages.
- Bergamot is a major stress reliever and one way that it can be used is to spray within an enclosed room if there are high stress levels or tension. This works well in work or school environments.
- You can also use it on your skin during your shower. Inhaling the oil will have a soothing effect and it will also serve to purify your skin.
- Bergamot’s cleansing capabilities can be use to enhance your favourite skin care products. Simply add a few drops of the oil to them.
- During your meals you can rub the oil into your stomach and this actually helps with the process of digestion.
- Apply the product to your skin to act as an insect repellent, or use it as a remedy for insect bites.
- Mix the oil with chamomile and fennel essential oils and rub them onto your abdomen to cure gas, indigestion, and flatulence.
- Use as a genital wash to prevent UTI recurrence do this by creating a mixture with lavender, salt, and filtered water.
- Poor water solubility, low stability and limited bioavailability– these are the shortcomings that inhibit the use of this oil in cancer therapy. This has however been settled by the introduction of bergamot oil liposomes that ensure water solubility to be used in the case of cancerous problems.
For the most part, most people find Bergamot essential oil to be perfectly fine when they add it to their meals and apply it to their skin in small amounts. There have been very few negative experiences that have been reported despite the wide use of the product over the decades. These negative experiences were centered on the sensitivity that the oil creates towards the skin when in contact with sunlight.
The oil may just create a vulnerability to skin cancer as it sensitizes the skin and exposes it to the harmful uv rays. People who use the bergamot essential oil extensively overtime may develop a host of skin conditions like harsh rashes and spots along with bumps and blisters.
To help fight against the harmful effects of the sun, ensure that you wear sunblock and protective clothing for added skin protection when using the Bergamot oil topically. If you fail to do this you might end up having some very serious sunburns when you apply the oil to your skin with other medication that makes your skin sensitive. You might also end up with several blisters upon sun exposure.
Bergamot should not be used by women who are carrying a child or who are currently still in the breast feeding stage. You should also avoid using the oil on kids. Bergamot can have some very unpleasant side effects that affect primarily children who have used the oil in large amounts.
Bergamot might also not be the best option for persons with diabetes because it can have an effect on blood sugar control within the body. This can eventually cause your blood sugar levels to be lowered by dangerous amounts. If you have diabetes and you want to make use of the bergamot’s benefits you will have to keep a close eye on your blood sugar levels throughout the process. Additionally, if you have scheduled any surgeries you should avoid using the oil for about two weeks leading up to your appointment. It may have an effect on the control of your blood sugar while the procedure is being carried out.
The Bottom Line
A lot of research studies are going on concerning this essential oil because they offer a great variety of health benefits. Today, many colognes contain bergamot oil fragrances to add a warm masculine smell. With the overview of the advantages and disadvantages of this oil, I believe you have your way in deciding where to put your money.